What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a chronic disease with many symptoms, sometimes it lays dormant for a while and patient’s experience ” flare ups” a time where symptoms become more dominant and overwhelming. This can happen when you have a surgery, become ill with another sickness such as a cold or flu, during your menstrual cycle and even during stressful or emotional times.
Symptoms of Fibromyalgia include, headaches, brain fog, memory problems, insomnia, muscle spasms, tingling and numbness to limbs, irritable bowel syndrome, intense muscle pain, pain that feels like growing pain in bones and joints. Patients with Fibromyalgia suffer from depression and anxiety disorders. Being in chronic pain can really wear a person down. Often times doctors don’t believe Fibromyalgia is “real”. This disease is invisible. Up until 2012 there was no physical evidence of this disease. No known cause, just theories and doctors believing this disease to be a psychiatric condition. I felt that Fibromyalgia was often diagnosed when doctors give up on a patient or refused to do further testing.
All that is changed thanks to Dr. Bruce Gillis of Epi Genetics. He decided that there had to be a specific physical clue to the disease. Dr. Gillis started a research program and found one particular thing in common with all patients he studied with Fibromyalgia. The similarity was the presence unique biomarkers of the immune system. He lays to rest the controversary of Fibromyalgia medically. Dr. Gillis confirms through FDA approved blood testing that Fibromyalgia is infact an immune system disorder. It’s truly physical, not just a fragment of your imagination.
I am not going to go into great detail about the specifics of the immune biomarkers, you can find more information on that at https://fmtest.com/
I already know I have Fibromyalgia, why do the testing?
- Testing confirms a true physical aspect of this invisible disease.
- This disease is chronic and consistently plaques a person with a variety of symptoms that can have similar patterns that fall closely to other auto immune diseases. It gives the patient peace knowing that a doctor has made the right diagnosis for them.
- Physicians will take patient’s more seriously knowing fibromyalgia is “real”.
- The test is FDA approved and covered by most insurances.
- The test is extremely accurate, it is as accurate as HIV testing.
- Having testing completed allows you to participate in Dr. Gillis clincial trial to cure Fibromyalgia. How awesome is that?
- Testing may help patient’s filing for social security benefits.
The road to diagnosis.
When my Rheumatologist told me he thought I had Fibromyalgia. I was actually really mad about it. I thought great, such a BS disease, no cause or cure. Just a chronic condition that basically leaves you ignored by physicans. I was skeptical that I had the disease in the first place, I’ve been suffering from symptoms since I was 15 years old. Until last year (at 26 years old) no doctor ever knew what was wrong with me. This doctor diagnosed me before my blood work even came back. I was also concerned that maybe he overlooked something. I researched Fibromyalgia and the FM/a test came up. I looked it over and the next day I spoke to someone at Epi Genetics ( the lab where the FM/a testing is done) the person was extremely helpful and explained the entire process to me. First I needed a doctor to order the test for me. When I intially spoke to my Rheumatologist he would not order the test, he said he never heard of it and that is wasn’t necessary. I didn’t take no for an answer so I contacted my primary physican and he agreed to order the test for me. YES!
The staff at Epi Genetics contacted my insurance company once the order was received, there was no agreed upon amount that my insurance promised to pay. They said that they maybe would pay something towards it. I had to front the money for the test, it was 740.00 ( without insurance out of pocket the test cost 900.00 at the time). I ordered it. The test came in a little box with all the instructions and a test tube. I had to take the test tube to my doctors where they drew the blood for me. I packed the test tube as instructed and sent it to Epi Genetics via Fed Ex overnight shipping. The label and bag was already created, all I needed was a receipt. It’s important to know you need to send the blood out right away and never have your blood drawn on a Friday. The specimen would be ruined due to the lab not being in office over the weekend. I waited about 3 weeks and received my results via snail mail. My ordering doctor also received the results via fax. Any value over 50 is considered positive. I tested positive with a value 65. I felt relieved for sure. Through out the process, I was contacting Epi Genetics regularly to find out more information, ask about costs and the process of mailing and the testing itself. I even emailed Dr. Bruce Gillis and he got back to me. Epi Genetic’s staff were extremely helpful and pleasant during the process.
A few things you should know about the testing process.
- A doctor needs to order the test for you, if a doctor will not do it. That’s ok, Dr. Gillis himself can order the test for you. You just need to contact Epi Genetics and tell them about your struggle.
- You need to find someone to draw the blood for you. Lab corp and Quest in my area would not do blood draws for third party testing. Luckily my doctors office agreed to doing the blood draw for me. Call different labs in your area first and see who will do third party blood draws. Before you order the test. Tell them you have a third party kit and will handle the shipping process back to the lab. ( do not trust the lab doing testing to send you kit back, make sure you do it yourself)
- My insurance paid for the test in the end however, it did take a long time to get my refund. A total of 9 months ( it was allot to pay out of pocket)
- A payment plan can be made with Epi Genetics if you do not have insurance. Just know you won’t receive the kit for testing until ALL your payments are made.
If you found this information helpful please give me a follow on my instagram @namastehealth._
Resources / more information
To order the FM/a test go to https://fmtest.com/
For pain and anxiety relieving CBD oil please check out my affliate link for My Soul CBD at https://mysouldcbd.com/?afmc=2
If you are looking for an online community for support http://www.myfibroteam.com
If you are looking for good quality natural supplements, blood testing and knowledge check out http://www.lifeextension.com/
I was not paid or asked by Epi Genetics to review this blood test. I am not endorsed or backed by any of the sites mentioned above. Although I am an affliate of My Soul CBD they did not ask for me to post anything here. All the information I include is my personal story that I chose to share with you. I hope you find it helpful and perhaps you will consider completing the test for yourself. If you have any questions please ask.
It’s important to remember when you have new or worsening symptoms of Fibromyalgia whether testing is completed or not. You need to review each symptom case by case. Just because you have Fibromyalgia does not mean you can’t be sick with something else.I always encourage people to do all necessary blood work and exams to rule out other disease even if you have received a positve FM/a test. Fibromyalgia often co- insides with other auto immune diseases.
BE WELL ~ Namaste~